Cornelius Kingsley Garrison Billings estate designed by Guy Lowell c. 1903 at the lower end of Fort Tryon Park along the Hudson River in New York City. The lodge was expanded by Lowell into a full time residence in 1907. Billings sold the estate in 1916 to John D. Rockefeller Jr. and moved to his new country estate 'Farnsworth', also designed by Guy Lowell, in Oyster Bay, Long Island (as well as keeping an apartment at 820 Fifth Avenue). Rockefeller wanted to demolish the house and donate the land to the city for use as a park but was ultimately rejected. The house would eventually burn to the ground in 1926 and Fort Tryon Park was completed in 1935 after the city finally accepted Rockefeller's donation. Click HERE for a Christopher Gray article on 'Tryon Hall'. Click HERE to see the former entrance to the estate on bing.